(505) 702-8521

Easter Safety Tips

Easter Safety

Our team wishes you and your family a safe and joy-filled Easter. It is important to keep in mind, though, that Easter represents a number of potential dangers to pets.

Easter lilies are highly toxic to cats. All parts of the plant are poisonous, and even a small amount can result in fatal kidney failure. Symptoms of lily poisoning develop in six to 12 hours after ingestion and increase in severity as time goes on. If you suspect your cat may have been exposed to Easter lilies, please call your veterinarian. Speedy treatment is crucial. If you witnessed exposure, your should bring your cat to the vet even if your cat is not showing symptoms.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, and the large amounts of candy associated with Easter means the probability of ingestion is even higher than usual. Take care to keep chocolate out of your pet’s reach, and make sure all eggs from Easter egg hunts are found. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and, in rare cases, death. Prompt treatment (inducing vomiting) of chocolate ingestion can often prevent toxicity, which is much more difficult to treat.

Easter grass, the thin plastic grass found in Easter baskets and other decorations, can cause blockages and severe damage to the intestinal tract if ingested, requiring surgical intervention to fix. Be careful with this, as many cats and dogs are attracted to it, and often end up ingesting pieces in the process of playing with it.

Wrappers or casings in which Easter candy is packaged can also cause intestinal blockages. Dogs are often quite indiscriminate in their efforts to eat candy and often ingest these potential foreign bodies.

Xylitol is toxic and potentially fatal to dogs. This artificial sweetener is showing up in a wider range of candies and gums. Please seek emergency veterinary care immediately if you suspect that your pet ingested xylitol.